Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Red carpet roundup: Emmys 2012

1. Top of class
 
 
Leslie Mann in Naeem Khan.  So fun.  So interesting.  Love the aqua-stone jewellery against the yellow.  Could it segue into a summer maxi for the beach?  Maybe.  Whatever, I love it!

 
Tina Fey in Vivienne Westwood.  I can't express how excited I am by this.  Some of her past escapades, have been dare we say it - frumpy, Liz Lemon? -  but this is just beautiful.  Also, she looked just radiant on the red carpet interviews.  That embroidery is delectable.

 
Ginnifer Goodwin in Monique Lhullier.  I think this photographed beautifully and I'm a fan of the Louboutins she is wearing.  Plus, she totally rocks this pixie hairstyle.  However, I will say this almost went in category 3, when Amy pointed out to me that in real life (by which I mean, on TV which is clearly real life) it looks like she is wearing a dress made of pipe cleaners.
 
 
Nicole Kidman in Antoni Berardi.  Kelly pointed out that as usual, we would prefer this on someone else because we just don't like Nicole.  Still, I am a sucker for blue, metallic and bling.  On crisp white, I think this rocks.  (I reserve the right to reverse my judgement if I ever get to see those shoes, which look suspiciously sandal like from the amount of toes showing.)
 
 
Emilia Clarke in Chanel Couture.  Similar theme to above; however in this scenario I am a sucker for deep purple, embroidery.  I think this shape is super fun and I kind of dig the relaxed pony tail look with it.  She looks so much classic than if she had gone for a fussy up do.
 
 
Kiernan Shipka from Mad Men in Zac Posen.  So chic and age appropriate.  It feels wrong to have a 13yo in a style round up, but there you have it.  She continually delivers.

 
Julie Bowen in Monique Lhullier.  People keep saying that JB was on trend with the canary yellow theme, but close up this is actually a really subtle lime (and sort of neon).  Her hair looks kind of messy, but I feel like it works.  Also, she is just hilarious as Claire on Modern Family.  Love.


2. Honourable mentions


 
Allison Williams from Girls in Oscar de la Renta.  Feels a little like Glenn Close's Zac Posen from last year, though safer, non?  Still - a solid debut performance.



 
Ariel Winter from Modern Family in Katherine Kidd.  So age approps and she has totally grown in the style stakes.

 
Claire Danes in Lanvin.  Opinion is divided over the shape of this.  But I think the colour is stunning and it's Lanvin.  I mean, what more do you people want?  Also, lady's hair looked incredible - the whole night.  I mean, did she have a hairdresser hidden behind her chair during the ceremony?  Also, she gave a shoutout to Hugh Dancy as "her love, her life" and "her baby daddy." Awesome. 
 
 
Because it's Anna Chlumsky!  My girl!  Also, aside from the shoes she looks super duper pretty.
 
 
January Jones.  Some say we've seen it all before, but I sort of love this.  Potentially a category 1.  The architecture of it is really very interesting.
 
 
Melissa McCarthy.  You are your husband are adorable.  Amy and I were literally besotted by how besotted HE is with you.  Note: however, I do believe those sleeves were too puffy.
 
3.  I see where you're going and I want to love it
 
 
Julianna Marguiles in Giambattista Valli Couture.  This just barely slid out of cateogry 2. Firstly, I adore Julianna - she totally kicks ass in the Good Wife (and looks even better now those silly bangs are gone...but then you can only have those bangs when you are clearly NOT doing Will, so perhaps the new season will bring some excitement!)  Secondly, the print on this dress is maddeningly gorgeous.  However, it makes her look so much wider than she is (which is like a toothpick, actually) and the makeup (or lack of) doesn't work for me.
 
 
Julianne Moore. in Christian Dior Couture.  I want to give points for this - it's a courageous choice, from a divine collection (Raf's first at Dior).  I think her hair looks stunning against the colour of the dress, but it's a little ill-fitting, no?  Also - wasn't she sweating bullets?  Again, incredible on the red carpet but real life execution is tough.
 
 
Lena Dunham in Prada, I wanted so much more for you.  You are awesome.  Alas, you're dress did not do you (any) justice.  I know Prada is known for enjoying "ugly" clothes, but this does her NO favours.
  
4.  I am so bored, I want to ask you to return your invitation to the Emmys so they can give it so someone more interesting
 
 
 
Kirsten Wiig - will she never wear a colour?  Also, this looks like a nighty, and she is verging on Alanis Morrisette here.  I love you and I want you to keep trying though.


 
Emily van der Camp in J.Mendel.  I love J.Mendel but this looked so much more interesting on the runway - especially with the darker panels.
 

 
Padma Lakshmi.  I've got to be honest, I am just so bored.
 
 
Zooey Deschanel in a confection of a thing, looking as unimpressed as i am.
 
5. Oh, sweetheart - really?
 
 
Sophia Vergara in Zuhair Murad.  Oh Sophia, some plumage and off to Carnivale?  But bangin' as always.
 
 
Christina Hendricks.  She is so beautiful but doing herself no favours with this meringue.  How can something so beige look so busy?
 
 
Elizabeth Moss in Dolce and Gabbana.  Speaking of Mad Men women and busy.  As Amy said, "a horrible hedge" and I say, a hedge got in to a fight with a doiley.  So many frills, and so much pattern.
 
 
Hayden Panieterre in Marchesa.  I have already expressed my thoughts on the Marchesa spring 2013 collection.  The Indian inspired show fell short for me, as does this dress on HP, which feels a little old despite the fun colours.
 
 
Put it away Heidi.
 
 
Julianne Hough. Darryl Hannah?  Splash? Just no.
 
Save the best for last...
 

Ashley Judd.  Nothing can save this.  (Note: she also had an umbrella.  So maybe it was a thing, a statement, in which case, I applaud the tongue in cheekness of it all?)  The bouffant hair is totes incredible/ridic.
 
 Photo credits: Go Fug Yourself, Red Carpet Fashion Awards, sfgate.com, examiner.com, Harpers Bazaar
 

No comments:

Post a Comment