Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Social curation: are you a tastemaker?

Fascinating article on the FT about the rise of overnight tastemakers via Tumblr, Pinterest et al: March of the Tastemakers

As a Pinterest and Tumblr user myself, it's super interesting to read about the rise of what this article labels "social curation".  You've all seen your FB newsfeed overwhelmed with updates on such and such joining Pinterest.  It's been around for a little while, but had 18m visitors last month (almost 50% up on the previous month).  I know many of you have indeed become tastemakers overnight as well.  The article poses the interesting question: is this merely a passing fad?  As I posted on a status update the other day, I simply feel exhausted by all the tumbling, pinning, twittering and blogging.  Could it be that soon other people will feel overwhelmed too?  My guess is Tumblr will reign supreme, at the top of the list (such as been the love it's felt from teenage girls) and Pinterest will stay steady with the mid-crowd.  Though I'd be keen to see the data on number of users for each site.

In the meantime, I hope you'll continue to use Devour Beauty (which is my very own social curation site) as a source of your own tastemaking - pin, tumbl away! nd x


1 comment:

  1. I'm betting that Pintrest gets up a little higher because people are like, "look shiny!" And visuals grab more than text.

    But I will ALWAYS read Devour Beauty.

    ReplyDelete