Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"And when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while..." (or in the words of Bruno Mars)


 




A dentist friend recently remarked to me on a someone's bad teeth - teeth, he said, make the smile.  But what he said next was more to the point - a gorgeous smile is what makes someone truly beautiful.  As he pointed out a bunch of beautiful friends smiling in photos around my house, versus the pouting, unhappy models in the fashion magazines on my coffee table, I realised he's right.  As I think back to the few times a boy had told me that my "smile lit up a room" I can remember that sort of statement can be a true evocation of just how beautiful you think someone is - at least it's certainly true when I've thought it of others.  In practical terms, I've put it into practice over the last 5 years as I have transitioned from the "Nisha Blue Steel" (which elicited a lot of fun-making by my friends, but a professional photographer told me was a-ok!) in photos to the "Nish Big Smile".

                


On the flipside, it also made me think about some of the incredible friends I have who make me smile and laugh, laugh, laugh  in a stomach aching kind of way no matter what, no matter where.  That is definitely what makes life beautiful.  So embrace the jaw-breaking smile over the pout, and try your best to make someone else smile.


(Photo credits: my random photogrpahy, and my gorgeous, gorgeous friends.)



1 comment:

  1. Nish, you are amazing! This made my day. When am I seeing your smiling face again?

    ReplyDelete